Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Jacob and Kyle!

Today you are both five. I can't believe that it has been that long since you were born and I held you so tiny in my arms. I was going to write you each a separate letter, but there are so many things I want to say to you together that I thought I would start here and give you each your own space as well.

When I found out I was pregnant with you, I was overjoyed. I had been through so much with your daddy being sick that I was so excited to have some happy in our life. Then just a few weeks later I found out that I was going to have both of you, I was overjoyed! I didn't really stop to think about what that was going to mean in real life.

I spent eight weeks on bedrest with the two of you and would gladly do it again. To hear you both cry at your birth almost made me cry as well. You have been two very healthy boys from the day you were born. Whatever weight you couldn't gain inside for whatever reason, you both put on quickly and I have never worried about that since.


This is the two of you shortly after we brought you home from the hospital. You are about two weeks old. Kyle on the left and Jacob on the right.

You are my firsts. Not very many people get to say that, but I have two firsts. You were very easy and content babies. You both were sleeping through the night before you were three months old. You were content in your bouncy seats, exersaucers, and swings. You went to sleep easily and it wasn't long before you were taking substantial naps. You have never complained about naptime or bedtime and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I am very crabby when I don't get sleep and I think you are both like me in that respect.

As I have watched you over the past five years, you truly have found a friend and playmate in one another. You definitely like to know where the other one is and can pretty easily entertain each other. That's not to say that you don't fight about things, but I know that you will always be there for each other. It seems that every time one of you accomplishes something new, be it sitting up, riding your bike, reading simple words, the other one of you is never far behind. Kyle, you crawled one week to the day after Jacob did. Jacob, you learned how to ride your two wheeler just minutes after Kyle figured it out. I don't even know which one of you started to put sounds in words together first. Neither one of you wants to be left behind, and you both work very hard to try new things.


Jacob-

My true baby. You weighed in at only four pounds three ounces. Many people were petrified to even hold you, but you were always so alert and ready for the next thing. You did many of the gross motor skills first-sitting, crawling, walking, riding your scooter, but you always had this look for your brother that said, "Come on, you can do it too!" Now that you are five, your brain never ceases to amaze me. When we ride in the car you already know how to get so many places and can remember the names of the streets as well. You know all the car manufacturers and several of the models as well. While I am still surprised at the things you remember, I shouldn't be. You really have that steel-trap mind. You have always been more comfortable with grown ups and as long as one of them will let you cuddle up with them, you tend to not care who it is. Yes, we have our trying times-I'm not quite sure how to deal with the fits that you throw-and emotionally you are a little immature, but you are my true cuddlebug. I can always count on you when I am sad to cheer me up. You are a fantastic soccer player, mostly because you run so fast. Your throwing and hitting have improved so much this summer and it's fun to watch a baseball game with you because you really seem to understand the rules and get so excited when something good happens. Your teachers at school love you because you work so hard and want to do well. They are amazed by you because of the things that you have accomplished. We will work more on your fine motor skills so that you can be everything that you want to be. I am so blessed to have you as my son! I love you!


Kyle-

You are the spokesperson for you and your brothers. You want to make sure that everyone knows that there are more than just you. You try to get Jacob to do things with you so that you don't have to go through it alone. You try and try and try things until you get them right. Your frustration level is very low for new things. Your love of baseball and the Cubs has been wonderful for me to see. I love to sit down and watch a game with you because I know that you and I think the same way. However, I am getting a little scared to play with you because you hit so hard I am afraid of getting hurt. You are so compassionate. Just last week you asked me, "So how was church Mom?" when I came to pick you up from Children's Worship. You never fail to make a friend on the playground and your teachers see you as a leader. You remember conversations very well. I am always surprised at the things that you remember that I said. You are a stickler for making sure that others follow the rules, but don't necessarily think that you need to follow them yourself. We're working on that. You have wonderful athletic ability and I know that you will be successful at whatever sport you decide to play. I love to get a smile from you because they are not easy to get and you only give them out when you are truly happy. I hold a special love in my heart for you because I think you look the most like me and I can't wait to see what that brings as you continue to grow. You always have a desire to do the next thing "all by myself." Just in the last few days you have started being able to snap the snap on your jeans. To others that may not seem like a big deal, but it makes having to go to the bathroom at school so much easier. I can't wait to see the adult you will become! You add such blessings to my life! I love you!


To both of you-

This is my favorite picture of you right now. You both look so happy and it just melts my heart to see my boys so close to each other.

Now that you are five, so many baby things are going away. Last year you gave up sippy cups, you are riding your two wheelers for longer and longer bike rides, and you are able to explain things to your little brother that I didn't think you could. My prayer for you both is that you never find yourself limited and that you are always willing to try new things. Know that I will always be there to support you and that my love for you is as limitless and your choices and abilities in life.


I love you both!
Mom
B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to our beautiful nephews!! We love you both very much and were so happy to be there to celebrate with you over the weekend. We hope your birthday was everything you wanted it to be! (We know we had a great time :) We love you!!!!!

Love,
Aunt Sara and Uncle Bill