Monday, July 21, 2008

Mother's Love, Teacher's Pride

Okay, so it only took me a week, but I think that maybe I am back in the swing of things. Hopefully I will be able to blog a little bit more now that things are back to "normal," whatever that means.

This morning we were all sitting on the couch before breakfast reading books. They boys had gotten some new books over the weekend from their grandparents and I wanted to read them with them. One of the books they got was Cooking with the Cat, it is a Step into Reading book and it stars the cat from Cat in the Hat. Anyway, I read it to them once and Kyle asked me to read it again. I thought that maybe he could read it by himself. I thought we would maybe read a few pages together and then he would get tired of having to work so hard to figure out the words and would quit. Well, my heart just about busted-I'm not sure if it was the love I have for my son as a mother or the pride I felt as a teacher, but I couldn't knock the smile off my face as Kyle sat there and we read the whole book together. It helped that it was a rhyming book so we could work on word families, but there were many words that he didn't even need my help for. I'm not sure I'm ready to have children who can read!

P.S. Jacob sat next to Kyle and was working just as hard to figure some of the words out. I feel like by this time next year, we could have some readers on our hands! Yikes! Nothing like a challenge for kindergarten teachers!
B

1 comment:

Emily Dykstra said...

That is awesome, Beth! Readers, here they come!