Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nightmares

As I watch my kids sleep this afternoon, I started thinking of all the things that can go wrong. I know that this is a dangerous place to go, but they are just so beautiful when they are sleeping that sometimes their waking moments truly give me nightmares. I decided that I needed to put this one event in writing, just as a reminder of what could have been.

We were still living in Woodridge, and Jacob and Kyle were about 17 months old. It was early spring and I was itching to get outside. We had hardly been outside at all last summer because I just didn't know how to do it with 2 babies (8-10) months who didn't want to sit in a stroller all day. Anyway, so this was one of our first trips outside when everyone was walking-the boys had gotten some push toys for Christmas and were dying to actually use them. I got Jacob's shoes and jacket on and was having some trouble getting Kyle to cooperate with the plan. So, I took them both out, but sat down at the edge of the garage to get Kyle's shoes and jacket on. In the meantime, Jacob had grabbed his push toy and had raced down our driveway and over to the driveway next door. We had been over there a few times before and while I was aware of where he was, I wasn't too concerned.

As I was wrestling with Kyle to get his shoes on, I heard a garage door open. I looked out and saw another garage on the court opening, no big deal, it was really far away, so I didn't think anything of it. Next thing I know, I hear a crash and I hear Jacob crying. I jump up and find that the garage door next door had also opened up and the husband was backing up in his great big pink pick-up truck. He had knocked Jacob's push toy over with the back wheel on the passenger's side and Jacob had fallen over. Thank goodness that the man had stopped when he felt the crash or I don't think that I have my Jacob today. I truly believe that was one of the scariest moments in my entire life.

Kyle, on the other hand, just sat and watched me, and as I came over holding Jacob and crying, Kyle began to cry too. He seemed to sense how scary this all was. I decided that I had had enough excitement for the day and we trapsed back indoors for the rest of the afternoon.
B

No comments: