Sunday, February 10, 2008

Nostalgia

Okay, so I know that my children are a little young for me to be feeling nostalgic about them already, but lately, I have been thinking about how far they have all come. If you would have told me four and a half years ago while I was laying on my bed on strict bedrest trying to hold off contractions that Kyle would sit and play Go Fish with us at the age of four, and not just play, have strategy, I couldn't have imagined it. Yet today, as we were telling Jacob not to show us his cards because people were going to know what was in his hand and therefore not get as many pairs, Kyle started paying attention to the cards Jacob was showing and the cards that my hubby and I were asking for, and started asking for those cards. Now granted, I probably should have been trying to teach him that even if someone is showing you their cards you should do your best not to look at them, but that's not where my mind went. I started thinking about that horrible week that my babies spent in the NICU right after they were born. I thought about how much I worried that they wouldn't gain weight (both my babies were 20 pounds by 7 months). I thought about every alarm that their tiny bodies set off and how scared I was at any long-term damage they might have. I thought about how much I loved them that week and how I didn't think I could love them more than that, but as I sat there and watched my two boys play Go Fish together, I was amazed at how much more love I now have for them. I can't believe that God has given me these three little miracles to watch, guide, and enjoy. I am starting to understand what my parents see in the baby pictures of my sister and myself. To me, we are just babies, but to them, we are these fantastic creations that have been entrusted to their care. I pray for the wisdom and guidance to be the kind of parent they need me to be. I can't wait to see what their brains will comprehend next.
B
This is so amazing to me! My boys can use discmans and turn the pages correctly to the beeps!

No comments: