Sunday, June 15, 2008

Melting Heart

Okay, so Kyle has been giving me a lot of attitude lately. I have been trying to keep a handle on it, but I feel we are constantly locked in battle. He is forever pushing his brothers, "flicking" them (you all know what I'm talking about), outright hitting them (today he even proudly stated that he "punched Jacob"), and just generally bullying them.
So, today, my heart melted. I forever carry around these huge cups of water--almost a quart of water will fit in one. I always have them when we are playing outside and the kids love to come over and ask for drinks from the cup. Today, Kyle asked for a drink and then Zachary asked for one right as I was handing the cup to Kyle. Zachary says, "Don't drink it all Kyle!" I reassure him (for like the 100th time) that it's just water and we can get some more, plus the cup was pretty much full.
Anyway, Kyle stops drinking, turns to Zachary and helps him get a drink from the cup. Then he looks at me with a huge grin on his face and says, "Mom, I helped Zachary get a drink!"
It was hard for me to remember why I am always locking horns with him at that moment. It so warmed me to see him act brotherly towards his brother. Now, how do I harness this and use it for good?
B

No comments: